Have you planned your outing for National Trails Day yet? There is only 8 days left until this year’s celebration of our great nation’s trail system. This special day occurs every year on the first Saturday of June. According to the American Hiking Society, there are about 200,000 miles of trails in the country to enjoy nature and find a place to quiet our minds and find solitude. If you are free on June 7th, consider giving some of your time to improve our nation’s trails by volunteering at one of the many events that will occur in our area.
- Join the Potomac Conservancy for a hike and a trail cleanup on the C&O Canal at Lock 8 near Cabin John, MD. Time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm. Contact Rebecca Long at firstname.lastname@example.org or (301) 608-1188 x215 for more information.
- Join the Montgomery County Outdoor Education Association for a 3 mile circuit hike along Loop C of the Billy Goat Trail on the C&O Canal near Great Falls, MD. Time: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm. Contact Mary or Joe Howard at email@example.com or (301) 585-8818) for more information.
- Join volunteers for trail work on the Susquehanna’s Orange trail of the Susquehanna State Park in Havre de Grace, MD. Time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm. Contact Ranger Elizabeth Swift at firstname.lastname@example.org or (410) 557-7994 for more information.
- Join the the Maryland Department of Natural Resources for a trail maintenance project at Cunningham Falls State Park in Thurmont, MD. Participants will work on erosion control repairs on the Cat Rock Trail. Time: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm. Contact Eric Creter at email@example.com or (301) 271-7574.
- Join rangers on guided hikes and for trail work at Rocky Gap State Park in Flintstone, MD. Time: 12:00 am - 5:00 pm. Contact Ranger Julia Wieners at firstname.lastname@example.org or (301) 722-8966 for more information.
If you just want to hike, but are not sure where to start, visit the websites of a few local hiking groups in your area. Here are some good ones:
- Mid-Atlantic Hiking Group: http://www.meetup.com/Mid-Atlantic-Hiking-Group
- Maryland Outdoor Club: http://www.marylandoutdoorclub.org
- Capital Hiking Club: http://www.capitalhikingclub.org
- Sierra Club Maryland Chapter: http://maryland2.sierraclub.org
- Northern Virginia Hiking Club: http://www.nvhc.com
You can also take a look at the National Trails Day Calendar on the American Hiking Society's website and find a hike or trail project near you! You won’t regret it and might discover a place you will fall in love with.
Please come back and give us feedback on your trail adventures!